Monday, August 31, 2009

Down with Perfectionism. Embrace Clutter!

Parable on Klimpt, Susan Giannantonio
30 x 22" mixed watermedia on paper

In the words of Anne Lamott, when we attempt perfectionism we will block inventiveness and playfullness. In the wonderful book Bird by Bird, Ann says "Perfectionism means that you try desperately not to leave so much mess to clean up. Tidiness suggests that something is as good as it's going to get. But clutter and mess show us that life is being lived. Clutter is wonderfully fertile ground--you can still discover new treasures under all those piles, clean things up, edit things out, fix things, get a grip."

2 comments:

  1. I must be living life for a couple people....I wonder what she would say about the perfectionist that never starts anything until they know they can accomplish it...(sad isn't it?)

    -- Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, you just wait. All of a sudden you'll know you're ready to start and, look out world! Anyway, a perfectly executed work of art usually bores me to tears. (why not take a picture?) I'd much rather see the artist's hand in it, the struggle, the challenge. Just to keep myself grounded I post my mediocre sketches on Flickr. It feels more honest to show the less good stuff. I like it when somebody says "hey, I could do that" or " I could do BETTER than that."

    ReplyDelete