Sunday, September 13, 2009

Beyond Precious

Whispering Call, 4 x 5' acrylic and collage on canvas, Mary Wilbanks

One of the messages that rings true about Mary Wilbanks' artistic journey, consistent both in her work and her instruction, is that sometimes we need to let go of what is too precious for the sake of the larger composition. Her paintings are rich in texture. The passages pull you in, compelling you to more carefully investigate. In the book Bird by Bird, author Anne Lamott tells us, "Go ahead and make big scrawls and mistakes. Use up lots of paper. Perfectionism is a mean, frozen form of idealism, while messes are the artist's true friend."

1 comment:

  1. That quote is excellent. I note that you quoted Lamott before in your Down with Perfectionism,Embrass Clutter blogg, and her words sang true there as well, as if she were talking to me! I think I am going to have to get that book; I am lookking for things to help get me going. I have not painted for years and am looking for motivation.

    ReplyDelete